Saturday, June 14, 2014

AnthroPaulicy Meets Internet!

With this being my first ‘official’ blog post I feel like I have to introduce myself and why I have begun blogging in the first place – since we’ll be getting to know each other I can’t just throw thoughts out into the blogosphere without some sort of explanation of where I’m coming from!

Why 'AnthroPaulicy'?

Although I have a penchant for cultural heritage and archaeology, my primary training is as an anthropologist. It is this training that has allowed me to examine the world of cultural heritage from an angle outside of the archaeological site and focus on the impacts and symptoms exhibited by the greater socio-political situations affecting the sites on a larger scale.  (There's the "Anthro" part for you...)

My educational background may be highly academically focused - anyone who has studied one of the humanities knows how "academia-y" they can get (which is one of the reasons I love it!) - but my work for non-profits since graduate school has been much more than academia could prepare me for - and being in DC I have received a thorough and very fast introduction into the policy world. But - much like Louis Leakey knew Jane Goodall would introduce the world to an innovative look at chimpanzees because of the fact that she didn't have a scientific/academic background -- I think that I can bring a fresh look at policy to the table regarding heritage and culture in the MENA region with my - we'll say 'insufficient study' - in policy and with the incorporation of anthropological principals and focus on local populations.  It's policy - Katie Paul's way - hence "Paulicy."

Why Blog now?

Beginning in graduate school, and for several years since, I voiced most opinions through social sharing on behalf of the organizations I worked for, managing the social media behind the scenes.  My primary concerns were archaeology and cultural heritage and since my day life was already consumed by these topics, I didn’t feel the need to express my personal opinions in addition to all of the advocacy sharing we were doing online – but more than anything, I didn’t think anyone would care what I had to say.

During my time managing social media on behalf of others, I was moved by the actions of several selfless individuals I have followed over these years who showed what the real power social media and media can do.  And more importantly, showed what the power of an individual could do. With that, I feel it is my time to begin contributing as an individual, an activist, an anthropologist, a researcher, an archaeologist, and a global citizen.

I can only hope that moving forward I can have the same impact on one person that others have had on me. If one person can make a change, I am going to do what I can to try and be that person. So here I am, Internet – I hope you’re ready for me!


Want to hear what I'm thinking in 140 characters or less?  Follow me on Twitter! @AnthroPaulicy 

All of the thoughts and opinions on the AnthroPaulicy blog are my own and do not represent that of any organization or group. 


No comments:

Post a Comment